Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Top of the mornin' to you!

This past Saturday they turned the river green again - this has been a unique to Chicago for over 40 years. The tradition started in 1962, when city pollution-control workers used dyes to trace illegal sewage discharges and realized that the green dye might provide a unique way to celebrate the holiday. That year, they released 100 pounds of green vegetable dye into the river—enough to keep it green for a week!

Today, in order to minimize environmental damage, only forty pounds of dye are used, making the river green for only several hours.

I was able to get real close and get some great shots of them dying the river...









Here is a Leprechaun


Michigan Avenue

I bought this hat on Mich. Ave as I was walking towards the river - I live only a block off of Mich. Ave & Wacker. I am over 75% Irish so I need to support my heritage ;)



and then there are some crazy outfits and hats...

May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
And rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the hollow of His hand.

No comments: