Saturday, September 06, 2008

Stand Up 2 Cancer



I don't share too much about my personal life on my blog - you may see pictures from a trip, a visit to my local farmer's market or my recent Oprah experience - it is mostly to share my love for stamping and being creative. But tonight, I watched an inspiring program Stand Up 2 Cancer and I wanted to share.

I was diagnosed 3 years 1/2 years ago with Hodgkin's’ Lymphoma - Stage I. Lymphoma is the most common blood cancer and the third most common cancer among children. Hodgkin's disease, an uncommon Lymphoma, accounts for less than 1 percent of all cases of Cancer in this country. Over 80% of patients with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma are cured. Basically, it is the rarest cancer and the best one to get if you are going to get it. The only symptom I experienced was terribly itchy skin. It felt like my skin was itching from the inside out. For weeks, I visited a Northwestern dermatologist and to no avail, medication and blood tests could not heal my symptoms nor figure out what was wrong. But, I was lucky. After sharing my symptoms with my friend’s neighbor, she encouraged me to ask for an x-ray or a CAT scan since her brother had had similar symptoms and had fought HD Lymphoma 10 years prior. I consider Dawn my guardian angel because 2 weeks later and many tests later, I stood up 2 Cancer.

Every day in America, 1500 people die from Cancer.

One out of every two men and one out of every three women will face Cancer.

One American dies of Cancer every minute.

There are nearly 11 million Cancer survivors in America right now and I am one of them.

The Stand Up To Cancer initiative aims to raise awareness and bring about an understanding that everyone is connected by Cancer.

This is where the end of cancer begins: when we unite in one unstoppable movement and Stand Up To Cancer.



No comments: